The Hipwaders make instantly irresistible pop-rock tunes in a style that ranges from early 80's Elvis Costello to the 21st century power pop of the Candy Butchers. They mesh their influences into a consistently appealing sound on their second CD, Educated Kid. Singer Tito Uquillas puts a fresh spin on a few classic subjects, like dinosaurs, siblings, math, toys, and animals. He has a unique and pleasing voice, like a cross between Tim Finn and Jello Biafra. Some of the lyrics border on, gasp, educational, but are always imaginative and fun. My kids are six and nine, and they both love The Hipwaders. Heck, I'm in my 40's, and even I find myself enjoying this CD when I'm in the car without the kids. It's not easy to make children's music that appeals to all ages, but The Hipwaders have done just that with Educated Kid.
Phil Corless, www.pkmeco.com
No comments:
Post a Comment