To me the best kids music is music that is just good music that just so happens to be able to be enjoyed by the whole family. Dan Zanes seems to capitalize on this concept...simply make good music that the whole family can enjoy. It doesn't have to be the most creative, be the most complex, have the goofiest lyrics, or be the most educational. I just want good music.
Ok, I know, good is very subjective, but here's how I would define it. Good music is well-played, competent, has well-written lyrics, and is well-produced. Those are just a few qualities that I consider essential to good family music. Another way to understand where I am going with this is to simply listen to If You Ever See An Owl by The Terrible Twos. This album almost perfectly illustrates my idea of the best family music out there - and it's good. Really good, in fact.
Matt Pryor, frontman for The Terrible Twos, said this about If You Ever SeeAn Owl: "I made a record that I like that my kids like, too. We can all listen to it in the car without getting a migraine."
If You Ever See An Owl is jam-packed with 15 solid, hook-filled pop songs that are sure to please the whole family (even all the way up to the pop-punk loving teens). From the simple and sweet opening song "Lady Bug" to the rocking tale of food pickiness in "Pizza and Chocolate Milk," this CD has songs that are sure to be stuck in your head for days - and in this case that's not a bad thing. I can (and have) easily recommended this CD to families with children of any age and even to people without kids. It's that good.
Bryan Townsend, Owner, Pokeypup.com
No comments:
Post a Comment