Saturday, November 18, 2006

#8: Rock Your Socks Off - Charity and the JAMband

One of the distinct pleasures of writing reviews is discovering new talents that I can shout out about. I don't think I can shout loud enough about this revelation of a CD, but I will try. I LOVE CHARITY AND THE JAMBAND!!!

There, I feel better, though slightly strange since I used to reserve this kind of enthusiasm for The Police and U2. But let me explain. Band leader Charity Kahn - a mother of two, mathematics wizard, multi-instrumentalist, and singer-songwriter - unequivocally does what she promises with the album title Rock Your Socks Off.

Start with her little-girl-meets-grown-up-rocker voice (think Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles), add rollicking instrumentation and day-glo bright lyrics, subtract any hint of overproduction or sugary sweetness, and you've got one powerful musical equation.

Track after track surprises and dares listeners not to dance along. While it's a challenge to pluck out favorites, a few cuts typify this experience. "Travelin'" starts the trip off with a bluegrass-tinged song about all the ways you can go from Point A to Point B. There may not be two more danceable tunes in family music than "Jump Into the Middle," a barn-burning rocker, and "Partner Dance," a blend of '70s pop-rock and Latin vamp. Imagination and rhythm work together to boost the lyrical ingenuity of "Whatcha Gonna Bring" (with such playful lines as "Who brought their toes/Who knows how to wiggle 'em") and "Wish" (with the starry-eyed whimsy of lines like, "Oh I made a wish/I'm gonna throw it in the ocean/I'm gonna stir it up/and make a magic potion").

Charity and the JAMband really do have a magic potion here, full of funk and rock, peace and love. The concoction is so invigorating that you'll buy it for yourself and maybe a few friends who will want to join in on the jam.

Gregory Keer runs the Family Man Online website.

No comments: