No album this year had a better opening song than Hey You Kids! from the Austin, Texas-based Jellydots. “Bicycle,” evoking the joy of being on a bike, whether you’re a kid or a grownup, is simply an exquisite song from start to finish. And who hasn’t wanted to ride a bicycle on the sea or in the sky?
The balance of the album (a compilation of the band leader’s Doug Snyder’s best songs from earlier releases) is similarly fun – silly but relevant to kids, high-energy but not annoyingly hyper.
Like Lunch Money’s Molly Ledford, Snyder has a particular ability to capture the funny little things that catch kids’ attention, but that most of us grownups have forgotten – “Mr. Cookie” explores the emotional trauma of dropping a cookie and the lesson one learns from the experience (don’t try to wash it in the sink); “I’m Not Ugly (You’re Not Either)” captures kids’ developing emotions with surprising subtlety given the song’s poppy simplicity; and “Race Cars Go” touchingly develops the inner feelings of RACE CARS GO FAST! FAST! FAST!
Okay, that last song isn’t quite deep and meaningful. But it rocks, and it’s important to remember that kids, too, must rock.
Add in a faithful but still original cover of “Three is a Magic Number” – which, I have to admit, I didn’t previously think needed to be covered again after De La Soul’s reworking – plus the ska/reggae-tinged “Lake Rules” (with a hilarious callback to the Bee Gees) and the slower-paced final few tracks, and Hey You Kids! is a terrific collection of power pop songs. This and Frances England’s Fascinating Creatures were my two favorite records of the year, and you’ll love both of them.
Bill Childs hosts the Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child radio show and writes for Minnesota Parent and Valley Kids.
1 comment:
Yea! The littles and I are digging the 'dots! They are so much fun. We love fun! I've actually dreamed the bicycle song. I've only dreamed songs by one other songwriter. Not bad!
Post a Comment