Saturday, November 18, 2006

#2 (tie): You Are My Little Bird - Elizabeth Mitchell

I was first introduced to Elizabeth Mitchell via Noggin and her work with her old friend Lisa Loeb. Her latest album You Are My Little Bird is a pure and simple and extremely engaging album for young children and families.

Elizabeth focuses on classic style folk music, both old and new. No heavy instrumentals, simple guitar and piano that never overwhelm the voices. I recommend every song on the album, although there is quite a varietyof sounds and styles. I adore the new arrangement of "Down in the Valley." "Grassy Grass Grass" is actually an open-ended chant originally written by Woody Guthrie. "Zousan (Little Elephant)" is a lovely Japanese song. "PomNaTu Ri (Springtime Outing)" is another bird song in Korean.

The inclusion of her daughter Storey's voice makes it even more endearing. I love hearing children sing along on a kid's album, and Elizabeth's voice is soothing and beautiful. The included booklet with the CD also has some fascinating articles and information.

I'm quite glad to have discovered her work.

Fran Grauman is About.com's Kids' Music Guide.

No comments: